RentRight SA logo

RentRight SA’s housing advice and advocacy service is a free, independent service, helping people sustain their tenancies in private rental, community housing, rooming houses or public housing. This program is supported by the Government of South Australia, SA Housing Authority.

Our tenancy advisors are experiencing a higher volume of calls during this period. We will respond to you as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience during this time.

Tenancy Advisors are available from 8 am to 8 pm, Monday to Friday, call 1800 060 462.

Information & Advice


Frequently Asked Questions


Contact us: 1800 060 462


Information and advice

Free access for tenants across South Australia

Our Tenancy Advisors provide free advice and support about renting. We can support you to sustain your tenancy, with information and advice on housing options, leases, bond queries, property maintenance, rent arrears, household living expenses, and eligibility for concessions.

Tenancy Advisors are available from 8 am to 8 pm, Monday to Friday 1800 060 462.

Advocacy and Support

Negotiation, your rights and the rental market

We look out for your rights. We can help you navigate the rental market, including support to negotiate with your property manager, landlord or housing provider, SACAT hearings processes and appeals.

Frequently Asked Questions

My lease is ending. What can I do?

Don’t leave it to the last minute. Contact the landlord/agent approximately 8 weeks prior to the end of the lease to find out if it will be renewed. If it is not renewed and you continue to remain in the property beyond the end of the lease you may be evicted.

For fixed term tenancies entered into on or after 1 March 2014 either the landlord or the tenant may terminate a fixed term agreement at the end of the term after giving at least 28 days’ written notice. If this notice is not given by either party, the agreement will continue as a periodic tenancy.

Can my rent be increased?

Yes, if it is written into your tenancy agreement the rent can be increased every 12 months provided you are given 60 days’ notice in writing or at the time of a lease renewal.

How do I get my bond back?

To have your bond refunded you need to come to an agreement with your Housing Provider. If an agreement isn’t reached you can dispute the bond claim. To find out about your bond status visit Residential Bonds Online or contact Consumer & Business Services on 13 18 82.

What is the difference between a shared tenancy and a subtenancy?

A shared tenancy is where two or more people are listed on the lease and share equal responsibilities for the tenancy.

A sub tenant/head tenant works differently where the sub-tenant treats the head tenant as their landlord.

Can I break a fixed term lease?

A fixed term lease agreement is a contract that is legally binding, however, in some circumstances, you may be able to be ‘released’ from that contract early.

Always try to negotiate with your landlord/agent or housing provider first and see if you can come to some kind of mutual agreement – make sure any agreement is in writing.

If an agreement is not made, a tenant can apply to SACAT and ask the Tribunal to be released from the lease early on grounds of undue hardship, domestic violence or any other special circumstance. (financial penalties may be incurred)

I’m sharing/renting with others – can I just move out?

If your name is on the lease you need to arrange for this to be removed prior to leaving the property. If this cannot be arranged you may be liable for any unpaid rent or damage that is caused to the property as long as your name remains on the lease.

Can my Housing Provider visit or inspect my property without prior notice?

Your Housing Provider has to give you 7 to 14 days’ notice of their intention to enter your property to inspect. However, they can attend without prior notification in the case of an emergency or to make urgent repairs.

Connection to Services

We can provide referrals and information about other services available to you including services and support for legal advice, financial counseling, and mediation services.

Extended Support

Tailored assistance for young people aged 17-25

We can help you find the right place and get ready to live independently. We offer support with completing rental applications, viewing properties, living in a share house, and understanding your rights and responsibilities as a tenant.

Middle aged woman at outreach workshop

Face to Face Appointments and Workshops

at one of our Adelaide CBD locations

Our tenancy advisors can meet with you at our Adelaide CBD or metropolitan locations. We can also provide group workshops and information sessions. Contact us to make an appointment.

Man laying down on grass chatting with friends

Share your Experience

Lived Experience Engagement Service

The Lived Experience Engagement Service is an independent state-wide and sector-wide service funded by the South Australian Housing Authority.

Latest News


SYC Data Demonstrates the Hurdles Confronting Tenants in South Australia's Rental Landscape

SYC has released a Data Snapshot, Facing the Demand for Tenant Support and Advocacy in South Australia, highlighting the demand for rental market advi...

Read Morearrow

South Australian Rental Reforms Update February 2024

The South Australian Parliament passed the Residential Tenancies (Miscellaneous) Amendment Act 2023 on 29 November 2023. The act includes several new ...

Read Morearrow

SYC Lived Experience Framework Release

SYC is excited to announce the publication of the Lived Experience Framework | SA’s Housing and Homelessness System! Commissioned by the SA Housing Au...

Read Morearrow

Contact RentRight SA via this form or call 1800 060 462