We help parents to decide on a direction for their future and put in place the steps they need to get there. This includes support to achieve education, training and other goals. Our support workers also offer guidance for a range of personal challenges. We can also help you access child care assistance if needed.
You may be eligible if:
- Your youngest child is under six years old, and
- You have had no paid employment in the past six months.
This program is accessible to parents with disability and parents from Aboriginal, Torres Strait Islander or other culturally or linguistically diverse backgrounds. We will work with you to ensure you can access the program. We will also provide key information translated into local languages and arrange an interpreter if you need one.
What to expect
We’ll be in touch with you before your first appointment to welcome you, explain how the program works and agree on a time for our first appointment. We understand that a parent’s time can be limited so we make sure meetings are at a time and place that is convenient for you.
At your first appointment, you will meet your Support Officer who will help you throughout your journey. Support Officers understand the local community and have had significant experience in assisting parents prepare to re-enter the workforce.
Your Support Officer will ask you about your goals and aspirations – the things you would like to achieve – your skills, your work history and your plans for study or work in the future. Together you will develop your personal Participation Plan.
Your plan will outline activities tailored for you to reach your goals. This may include:
- Career Counselling
- Support in Vocational Preparation
- Attendance at parent group meetings – where you can share your experiences with other parents
- Attendance at information sessions – about different types of training or jobs
- Preparing for training workshops
- Identification and enrolment in training or education
- Work readiness workshops
- Work experience
- Involvement in work-like projects to develop business and work skills
For our full service commitment to participants, please download our Service Delivery Plan.