Apex community support helped us find our first permanent address
08 Feb 2018
Working Together: Partnerships strengthen the work of SYC
The support of community groups has always been important to the success of SYC, allowing us to expand our reach and impact. From 1958 to 1966, SYC operated out of community centres, the homes of volunteers and other buildings with short-term leases. In order to provide more stability to clients and focus on the work at hand, the Apex Club of Adelaide came to our aid. From 1967, the Apex clubs held nine walkathons in Adelaide parklands to raise funds and awareness for SYC. The events were supported by a large number of volunteers from Apex adelaide, SYC and the broader community.
Extract from ‘The Golden Jubilee of the Apex Club of Adelaide 1936-1986’
Apex embarked on a major plan to raise funds to provide a building to house the Service to Youth Council. The first Walkathon was staged in July 1967. A course of four miles was laid out in the north parklands and 281 participants walked a total of 4,266 miles. The greatest distance covered by one walker was 26 miles. Through generous sponsorship, this first trudge raised $5,890. This contribution enabled the Council to acquire a permanent premises in Melbourne Street, North Adelaide. The Council named the building Apex House in appreciation of the help given by the movement.
Spurred on by this success, the Walkathon became an annual event. In addition to radio, T.V. and press coverage, letters and entry forms were sent to sporting, religious and youth groups and the response was very gratifying.
Check out a glimpse of the action in the photo gallery.